•Time: 55 minutes
•200g stewing beef or soya chunks
•1 onion, finely chopped
•1 pepper, finely chopped
•2 garlic cloves
•1 tbsp curry powder
•1 tin of chopped tomatoes
•1 tbsp mango chutney
•1 tbsp tomato purée
•130g basmati rice, raw
1. Chop the beef into cubes, about 2cm square.
2. Brown the beef in a pan over a low heat. Add the onion and cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add the chopped pepper, carrot and garlic and cook for five minutes, stirring often to stop it from sticking. Add a little water if necessary.
4. Add the curry powder and stir well to mix.
5. Add tomatoes, mango chutney and tomato purée. Simmer gently for 20 minutes, adding more water if necessary.
6. Cook rice according to the packet instructions and serve.
•Raw meat often has surface bacteria. If cooking raw meat keep it away from all ready to eat foods (bread, fruit etc.) and thoroughly wash your hands, surfaces, utensils and chopping boards before and after preparing food and handling raw meat.
•Wash or peel raw vegetables before use, as this will help clean them and remove any harmful bacteria that might be on the outside
•Leftovers can be kept in the fridge (for up to two days) or frozen. If freezing food, freeze it immediately. Do not refreeze defrosted food.
•When reheating, always make sure that the dish is steaming hot all the way through before serving.
•Never reheat food more than once.
Recipe courtesy of NHS Choices: http://www.nhs.uk